I’m in need of some good soul songs because I’ve gone through a really tough time in my life and soul music just seems to feel right as of now. I know nothing about soul music so if someone could give me some top songs or greatest hits of the genre, that would be totally awesome.
You could try some of these. I just did an average google search and got these as some of the greatest hits of all time. I’m not a huge fan but I respect them. Soul music is beautiful though.
1. Four Tops – Bernadette
2. Temptations – Cloud Nine
3. Smokey Robinson & the Miracles – I Second That Emotion)
4. The Winstons – Color This Man Father
5. Clarence Carter – Patches
6. Percy Sledge – When a Man Loves a Woman and Take Time to Know Her
Check out the song called “I heard through the grapevine” by Marvin Gaye. You can’t go wrong with Marvin Gaye just because his music is so generic to love in so many ways. When I used to go through breakups with boyfriends in college I used to play his greatest hits album and it made me feel better.
Dude… Don’t you know “My Girl” by the Temptations?? It’s like the best song ever written that could be considered some of the most beautiful and influential soul songs of all time. I’m 26 years old and a tough guy in the army and I an still jam out to this great song with my soft side.
Doing a google search gives me the top 10 songs of all time of the soul music genre. Maybe try searching one day
1. Respect – Aretha Franklin
2. I Heard It Through The Grapevine – Marvin Gaye
3. (Sittin’ On) The Dock Of The Bay – Otis Redding
4. What’d I Say – Ray Charles
5. Maybellene – Chuck Berry
6. Papa’s Got A Brand New Bag – James Brown
7. Money Honey – Clyde McPhatter & The Drifters
8. Shake, Rattle, & Roll – Big Joe Turner
9. My Girl – The Temptations
10. Long Tall Sally – Little Richard
Man there are a lot of haters on here! Is soul music just being seen as Motown stuff too because this site seems to be devoted to Motown music.. Or is Motown music automatically soul music too? Man.. I’m confused.. Please excuse my stupid-ness.